At Active Integrative Medicine, we understand that a sore neck can be excruciating, interfering with daily activities and overall comfort. While a sore neck is usually caused by poor posture, muscle strain, or sleeping awkwardly, it can sometimes indicate a more severe problem.
Here are a few things to relieve a sore neck temporarily and why you should see us for help.
Common Home Remedies for a Sore Neck
- Heat and Cold Therapy. Applying a heating pad or a warm towel to the affected area can help relax muscles and improve blood flow, resulting in soreness relief. You can also try cold therapy with an ice pack after 48 hours to reduce inflammation and numb the pain.
- Gentle Stretching. Stretching your neck gently can help improve flexibility and relieve pain. Hold each stretch for 15-30 seconds and repeat several times throughout the day.
- Massage. Massaging the area can help relieve tension and promote relaxation by gently massaging sore muscles. Apply light pressure and circular motions to the affected area with your fingertips or use a massage tool for added relief.
- Posture Correction. Poor posture can aggravate neck pain, so try to sit and stand straight with your shoulders relaxed and your head aligned with your spine. Adjust your workspace and devices to reduce neck strain.
- Over-the-Counter Pain Relievers. Ibuprofen or acetaminophen can provide temporary relief if your neck pain is severe.
Why You Should See Us
Home remedies help relieve mild neck pain, but in most cases, it takes more than that for long-term relief. Our team of chiropractors, massage therapists, and naturopathic doctors can work with you to address the root cause of your sore neck and promote long-term relief. Please schedule an appointment with us today.