Eczema is a skin inflammation condition that many people suffer from. It is a very frustrating, persistent condition that affects up to 20% of the population, though most people outgrow it by the age of ten. Also known as atopic dermatitis or atopic eczema, this condition causes itchy, red, and dry skin that can become leathery or cracked. Before determining treatment, there are some things you should know about eczema.
Causes of Eczema
- Cold or dry climates
- Dry skin
- Heat or sweat
- Irritants (wool, synthetic fabrics, soap, etc.)
- Overactive immune system
Symptoms of Eczema
Eczema flare-ups can appear anywhere on the body, though they are most commonly found on the knees, elbow, and hands.
Skin affected by eczema will become thicker, leathery, and cracked. The more exposed eczema is, the more affected skin will become. In the worst circumstances, puss or yellow scabbing may appear on eczema patches. These small and painful fluid=filled blisters can be a sign of bacterial infection or eczema herpeticum.
Types of Eczema
- Atopic Dermatitis
- Contact Dermatitis
- Dyshidrotic Dermatitis
- Nummular Dermatitis
- Seborrheic Dermatitis
- Statis Dermatitis
Naturopathic Treatments for Eczema
Regardless of the type of eczema you suffer from, there are naturopathic solutions for you such as:
- Acupuncture – acupuncture helps to control the nervous system and reduce itchiness. Less scratching will also reduce inflammation and redness in the skin.
- Natural Skin Care Products – natural skin care products often have less ingredients and are fragrance free. Using natural products will help keep skin hydrated (which reduces eczema) and will help you avoid using products that include potential irritants.
- Vitamin D and E Supplements – both of these vitamins help improve the appearance of skin conditions.
- Improved Diet – eczema is sometimes triggered by certain foods. By eating an anti-eczema diet consisting of foods high in omega-3 fatty acids, probiotics, and flavonoids, you can avoid flare ups. Some eczema-approved foods include: