While a sore throat can happen any time of the year, most people typically complain of them during the colder months of the year. A sore throat can be painful and uncomfortable, as well be a symptom of other illnesses or conditions, especially if they recur frequently and/or do not go away after a period of time.
It can be difficult to pinpoint exactly what can be the cause of your sore throat. Prolonged sore throats should always be checked out by an experienced health practitioner. If you are experiencing a sore throat, there are some naturopathic remedies you can try to help soothe your symptoms.
- Gargling With Salt Water. Salt water is wonderful for reducing inflammation and swelling in your throat, as well as drawing any infections out of your throat. To create a salt water solution for gargling, dissolve ¼ of a teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water and gargle as often as needed.
- Drinking Herbal Teas. Sipping on warm tea can offer soothing effects on your sore throat and can help your body fight off possible infections. There are many store-bought teas that are developed for soothing sore throats; however, if you are unable to locate these, try looking for a tea that has echinacea or boosting your tea with anti-inflammatory spices, such as turmeric.
- Using Honey. Honey is a versatile food that tastes great but also can help relieve your sore throat. Honey carries antibacterial properties that can help ease your symptoms. Add honey to your tea as an added booster in helping soothe your sore throat. If you have acid reflux, it may, however, be best to avoid honey, as it is quite acidic and can trigger the condition.
- Try A Humidifier. A humidifier can improve the atmosphere of your home and reduce any dry air circulating that may be the cause of your sore throat. The steam that is emitted from a humidifier provides the much needed moisture your nose and throat need, which can help clear up the mucus that may be contributing to your sore throat.
- Take A Hot Shower. Similar to a humidifier, a hot shower creates steam that can help relieve the symptoms that are contributing to your sore throat. The steam can add moisture to your throat area, improving symptoms.
Naturopathic remedies can help relieve a sore throat. However, if these home remedies are not working as well as you hoped, there is more you can do. Connect with the naturopathic specialists at Active Integrative Medicine for a custom recommendation on how you can treat your sore throat and other conditions, tackling the root of the situation. Call 905-492-8688 today to book your appointment.